Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Thanksgiving Dream Come True

Before I got married, I thought every family watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as part of their Thanksgiving traditions....because my family does. I grew up watching the parade every Thanksgiving morning and then discussing it over dinner with family who'd watched it on their own. It's always been a major part of our day.

This year, Tyler and I did not spend Thanksgiving in Florida. With the prices of flights and the limited amount of time we'd be down for... we decided to just go home for Christmas. So we were stuck with the "what to do for Thanksgiving" question. We were open and even planning on hosting athletes until pretty last minute when everyone had a place to go.

While in conversation with a softball girl, she mentioned she was going into the city for the parade. Then it hit me. We could forgo the pumpkin coffee cake and parade watching from our couch that I had planned and actually GO TO IT. After some discussion and logistical research... it was set... the Stowell's were headed to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!


It was a joyous morning, early but joyous. I had a fabulous time, even amidst the crowds and in the freezing temperatures. In fact, I would do it again, hands down. It was one of the coolest things I think I've ever done. My biggest let down... that the Rockettes don't go through the parade (they must just perform in front of Macy's).

Our intimate Thanksgiving here in New Jersey was an excellent way to end (well basically end) the month of November. I thoroughly enjoyed focusing on rejoicing. gratitude, and prayer this month. I wasn't perfect but it was great to have a focal point all month... something to direct my heart towards the Truth. Another fun, adventurous, blessed month in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment